***The application for the Northern Michigan Outdoor Recreation Pitch Competition is now closed.***
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation has partnered with Michigan Outdoor Recreation Industry Office, Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA), and a regional partner group* on an initiative to provide growth opportunities to outdoor recreation small businesses looking for support to start or scale operations. Businesses with innovative and sustainable products or services are encouraged to apply, outdoor recreation business types are listed below. This regional event is for businesses geographically located in Antrim, Charlevoix, Cheboygan and Emmet Counties.
Selected applicants will be invited to an in-person pitch competition on, with awardees receiving customized support services* that may include:
- Branding & Content Marketing
- Outdoor Recreation Innovation Consulting
- Retail Consulting
- Tradeshow Participation & Prep
- Videography & Website Design
Business applicants will be considered from these categories:
- Outdoor Gear and Product Makers: Manufacturers, Designers, or Innovators of outdoor gear, clothing, etc.
- Outdoor Gear Retailers: Retailers that sell outdoor recreation gear, clothing, supplies, including brand representatives, dealers, wholesalers, online and physical retail
- Outdoor Access Facilitators: Organizations and businesses that provide access to outdoor destinations and equipment, or provide knowledge and tools to encourage outdoor recreation (e.g. ski resorts, kayak liveries, outdoor education nonprofits)
- Other: A business that can demonstrate it has a product or service that is applicable to the Outdoor Recreation Industry and has a desire to expand into that market and diversity its customer base.
Businesses interested in participating must complete an application between 12/15/21-1/18/22.
Participating businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Business must be located in Antrim, Charlevoix, Cheboygan or Emmet Counties.
- Business must have under $750,000 in annual revenue
- Business must have 10 employees or less
- Businesses must meet applicable industry laws and standards
- 12/15/2021: Pitch application opens
- 01/18/2022: Pitch application closes
- 01/21/2022: Selected applicants invited to participate in Pitch Competition
- 01/27/2022 Pitch prep session for invited participants
- 02/14/2022: In-person Pitch Competition
Selected awardees may not receive all selected support services. Services packaged based on awardee’s unique needs.
*Regional partner group includes Boyne City DDA, Charlevoix Chamber of Commerce, Charlevoix DDA, Cheboygan DDA and the Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce.
For additional Michigan Outdoor Recreation Industry resources available for your business, click here.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.